Friday, August 20, 2010

Quick and Dirty Recap

Had open mat tonight, and rolled pretty decently for the amount I sweat through the evening. Absurdly hot. I'm fairly certain I lost at least 5 pounds of water weight. Tim schooled me (as he should), but just about everyone else I worked with I did OK against. JP, the big blue, wanted to start on the wrong end of side control, and I wasn't about to argue. Got to mount, but I couldn't finish him.

In completely unrelated-to-BJJ news, I just finished reading Andre Agassi's autobiography. If any part of you enjoys tennis or enjoys watching tennis or at one time stayed up until 1:30 watching the 1999 US Open semi-final match between Martin and Rafter because despite logic and math Martin just would not die, this book is essential. It links into my earlier ruminations on excellence (time put in, etc.), but really, it's a fascinating glimpse into the mind of someone who dedicates his life to one thing--whether his dedication is a choice or not--and what it takes to stay at the top. I played tennis when I was young. I was never actually good, but it was during the real Sampras-vs.-Agassi time in the early to mid nineties, and reading about them from Agassi's perspective is simply fascinating. (For a look at a newer star, read David Foster Wallace's essay for the New York Times about watching Federer play at Wimbledon. Even if you don't like tennis, read it. DFW was always better at writing essays than books, and his experience and a junior tennis player makes it that much better.)

This is "Quick and Dirty" because it's late and I have a class with Camarillo tomorrow. That means bed and sleep and breakfast and stretching and rolling and learning and hopefully retaining. Tomorrow, I'll try to remember to write about "constantly attacking" and breaking grips. Because those are two things I need to work, and two things that came up in rolling tonight. But I'm tired and need my A game tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment