Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Late

I was late to class.  I contend it wasn't entirely my fault; my wife had a work thing, and the roads are still a bit shit from the mess of a snowstorm last weekend.  All the same, I showed up about 10 or 15 minutes late.  It was a small class--just new Jeremy and Zach--so I stretched while they went over the basic threads. Then we worked open guard again, foot placement, and counters to the stack pass.

Worked with Klint afterwards again.  I can tell he's taking it to me a bit harder each time, and I feel like I'm somewhere in the vicinity of keeping up.  By "keeping up," I want to make clear that I am not in any way able to match my black belt instructor's technique, pace, smoothness, or general ability.  What I mean to say is, it seems like I keep getting walloped by the same margin.  And if I'm right--if he is indeed increasing his pressure and pushing me harder each time--then the rules of logic and math mean that I have to be improving.  It doesn't really feel like it.  I still feel most comfortable on my back (the worst position to have in a self-defense situation), and my body seems to be stuck in jell-o when I move to shoot or try snaking my opponent's leg to reverse positions.  My top game feels decent, though I have almost no opportunity to use it against Klint, and even then he just elevates me and puts me back in guard.

I have my last final of the semester this evening.  This pleases me to no end.  And yes, I trained the night before my last final.  If I hadn't, I would be in a bad place right now.  This probably means that I'll have a bit more time to put into my posts.  And I'll be able to finish that thing I've been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment