Sunday, September 12, 2010

Unplanned Week-long Vacation

Thursday night was hell. Usually when I injure myself, I can find some sort of equilibrium, some posture or angle that doesn't hurt to maintain. Not so this time. We got hom from trivia and I curled up in the fetal position on the couch.  I eventually dragged myself to bed, but couldn't sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time because of the pain. It was a terrible sleep.


I went to the doctor Friday morning. X-rays and some random quackery tells us that nothing is out of place in my spine--no slipped discs or anything else leaving its designated space.  So that's good.  Sadly, though, that knowledge doesn't automatically make it easier to move my back.  I got prescription pain pills and muscle relaxants.  Also, the doc told me to take some prescription doses of ibuprofen (aka Vitamin I).  The doc said I should start doing light stretches and maybe even some light yoga by Tuesday or Wednesday, so that's encouraging.  She advised to wait around 2 weeks before going back to class.  We'll see if I can last that long.  I don't want this injury to turn into something that takes all the momentum out of my training.  I like that I go to 3 classes a week and work some training in after most classes.  I refuse to allow something as trivial as my back to get in the way of that.

So I'm out for a short while.  And right as I got a new Jiu Jitsu book--Andre Galvao's "Drill to Win" came in the mail Thursday or Friday.  So I have to look at that all week and not try anything I see in there.

This will help make sure that I keep up with my schoolwork, though, so it isn't all bad.  2 writing assignments due next week (not the one coming, the 20-24), and I am out of commission over the weekend with a bachelor party.  Sadly, this injury came at a pretty good time.  I also have to have a dentist abuse me some more on the 24th.  So I might be out that weekend, depending on how badly getting a wisdom tooth yanked sucks this time around.

I haven't forgotten that I committed to reviewing my Keiko Raca gi, and I'll get to that.  I wanted to make sure I got enough rolls in it to get a feel for it.  I might find some time to write that up this week.


1 comment:

  1. Back injuries SUCK! My heart goes out to you. Wishing you a speedy recovery and some possibility of comfortable sleep in the meantime...

    ReplyDelete