Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eyes Up

Klint is back in town, and after a few weeks of Brazilian warm-ups right into training, we're back to five-to-ten minute warm-ups right into forty minutes of technique.  It's a preference thing, I suppose--I'm not huge on working cardio for the sake of working cardio (as anyone who has trained with me can attest).  I like learning the techs, working on hip movement in context instead of in a vaccuum.  Still, the practices that Gina and Chris and Brady ran were super tight.  Having different instructors come in and run class for a while is something that I think everyone should do, especially if you have only one instructor.

So how is may training going?  I really don't know.  I had a few weeks where I was feeling good, executing the very things that I was attempting, performing above my own expectations, that sort of thing.  I didn't have much time to train after class Monday and Tuesday, but I trained the double-open-mat Friday and open mat again on Saturday.  So that was three hours training Friday, another hour Saturday, and technique work (mainly) Monday and Tuesday.

I need to pay more attention to my goals when I roll.  That might bring me back to that place where I feel like I'm accomplishing something when I train.  Friday and Saturday were good in terms of getting some training in, but I lacked direction.  I wasn't working specific positions, trying predetermined setups or anything like that.  The benefit of Friday and Saturday, though, is that I was working with Josh (a smaller, mobile blue belt), old Mike (the purple who reminds me that I don't have nearly the technique that I want to have), Dan (a serious blue belt who gives me problems), and Ron (a blue belt as new as I am on whom I can try new techniques and still feel comfortable).  Going across town for open mat is great; the pool of talent from whom I can learn and get mauled is three or four times the pool at our academy, and everyone is super cool.  It took a bit of time to become a familiar face around there--the same as it is in any social clique, I suppose (you know, like a pool hall or bar or frisbee game)--but once you're in you're in.

I'm also becoming a little more apprehensive about what it means to be a blue belt, especially the first blue belt at our academy.  I don't know what the balance should be between a) taking time to tailor my training to my partners' benefit and 2) being somewhat selfish with the training time I have and working to finish every time.  I also am starting to look long-term and trying to figure out exactly what how much competition experience Klint will want me to have.  I know that competition experience isn't a necessity for progression, and plenty of hard grapplers progress without it.  But I also know it's something that would harden my game and build up my endurance and confidence.  My next training will be Saturday, so I'll have until then to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment