Sunday, January 30, 2011

Forward

It isn't that it was a bad week of training.  All told, I got on the mat five times--four classes and open mat.  We focused on working with a cross-grip from guard and combining it with the push-pull concept, using your opponent's energy against him.  Predicting and preempting.

I'm in a strange spot with my training.  I am progressing, and for that I am thankful.  I have been lucky enough to get plenty of mat time, and that always pays off.  I also find myself using more techniques in lie rolling than I used to.  I'm sure that part of it is that I'm gaining exposure to more techniques, I'm seeing more.  I'm also more comfortable on the mat and thus more willing to try different things.  My ego is more comfortable getting beaten and bruised, and that makes me more willing to try new things and get passed.  That is all good.

At the same point, I can feel myself almost stalling out, seeing a new level of difficulty in what I want to be able to do and not knowing how to get there.  A few of my training partners have complimented my improvement and hip movement, but it feels the same as it did months ago.  It's like I know more tricks and more ways to cut corners, but some fundamental part of my game is lacking.

Our academy has had a rash of injuries over the last few weeks--Andy's knee is acting up, Neal's shoulder, Zach's knee, and Kyle's knee all demanded time off.  None of which were my fault, by the way.  Well, with the possible exception of Kyle, but I wasn't tweaking on his leg--he was working a leg-loop sweep, and I was getting out of it but he wouldn't release the hook.  Also, he doesn't have a low speed, so even though I wasn't going full out, he was.  We should know more about that sometime this week.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be teaching constitutional law to high school students every morning.  At 7:30.  This is disheartening for two reasons:  1) it will be at 7:30 in the morning; and b) I'll probably have to give up one night of training a week in order to keep up with my school work and maintain some semblance of sanity.  I should still have 3 nights of training a week and an open mat, so it's not like I'm disappearing.

Finally, Nick Diaz is entirely too much fun to watch.  He finished Cyborg with a picturesque armbar last night.  They were on the ground for less than 30 seconds, and it cost Cyborg the fight.  That's what I want my ground game to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment